Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 14 14:16:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 10:54 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> Unless its a USB headset, I don't think that is true. AFAIK a
> conventional microphone jack is treated as an extension of the default
> sound card output.

Ah, I missed the bit where they said it was conventional microphone and
earphones.  There are some cards which do detect that a microphone has
been plugged in, and into which socket (likewise with headphone
detection), but generally they're rather dumb about it.

For the dumb ones, you may have a choice of several microphone inputs
(e.g. front panel, rear panel, in-built) on your mixer, and you'd use
the mixer to select which inputs are used, and at what levels.  If
you're having no luck with a particular input socket, try another.  You
may be using the wrong one, or one that's not connected.

I'm not sure how you'd go about controlling that on the newer Fedora
releases.  It used to be a gnome-volume-control program (that's "volume"
as in sound level, not disc volumes), or alsamixer (curses interface).
But the newer Fedoras have gone all pulseaudio, and I haven't played
with that as a front end for the input.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686