Fedora 15 + scsi tape drive

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Oct 14 18:51:16 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Bill Perry <wlperry at williamperry.com> said:
> Then I decided to upgrade. I swapped out the motherboard and got a 64
> bit cpu and upgraded the OS (complete new install). I now have Fedora 15
> running on the box.

IIRC the "st" module may not be loaded automatically on newer systems.
Try a "lsmod | grep st" and "modprobe st" (if it isn't listed).  If that
fixes it, there are several ways to get the module loaded (try that and
post back the results).

> It almost looks like the device changed from /dev/st4 to /dev/st0. Is
> that possible?

Yeah, I don't know why it would ever have been st4; the SCSI tape
devices have always been numbered starting with 0 in my experience (I
think I first used a SCSI tape device on Linux in 1996).

An alternate way to always access a specific tape drive by a fixed path
is via /dev/tape/by-id.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>