Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 00:59:16 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 04:24 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Thu October 13 2011, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>>> The adults also realize that Fedora already has a process pretty much
>>> exactly as Thomas described, and participate in it if they want to.
>>
> Really? What is it? How do we access this wondrous special forum on
> changing device names on a whim of a dev?

Nothing major like this gets changed on whims.  This change was done to
solve real world problems.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

The special forum is just linux kernel mailing list and fedora devel
list where this was broadly announced and discussed.  All major features
follow the feature process
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy) and gets voted upon by
the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee which itself is a body elected
by the Fedora contributors.   If you subscribe and follow fedora devel
list, you can follow all such discussions in the future.

Rahul