Samba problems. Samba master fight with Linksys E4200 wireless router with storage ?

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 02:08:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 00:15 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:

>> > ----
>> > sure take samba advice from someone who 'doesn't touch samba' - makes
>> > sense to me.
>> >
>> How many versions of samba and windows you been through?  I been
>> through a lot.  Go back a few years and see if you can make sense of
>> old documentation.  How-to's are great.  They have a shelf-life of
>> about six months.
> ----
> I have the Official Samba 3 HowTo dated 2003 here on my bookshelf. Yes,
> there has been 2 updates to it but they are incremental and not
> monumental changes. That's like 6 months X 16
>
> I have been running Samba since about 2.2.7 (about 2000) as a Windows
> Domain controller. I'm still a samba team member and the editor of
> wiki.samba.org

Since I have recently been keel-hauled by the list moderator, I want
to revisit this subject with a little story.

Some number of years ago, and maybe even before you knew what SMB
stood for, I happened to be on a Usenet group to read a panicked
message from a sysadmin who had to get his payroll out.  Just one
problem: his data were on Linux and whatever he needed to get the
checks out was running under Windows, and Samba (as was often the case
then) wasn't cooperating.

I forget the details, but the problem was with gdm, and I knew how to
fix it.  Too bad the Samba developer team wasn't right there to take
care of it, because Samba sure wasn't taking care of itself.

Suppose I or someone like me hadn't chanced along?  No paychecks.
Overdrafts.  Unpaid bills.  Someone who swears he will never rely on
Samba and possibly on Linux and certainly not on RedHat ever again.
In retrospect, given the pure rudeness and arrogance on display here,
I sort of wish I could take it back and say, "Sorry bud.  Guess it's
your tough luck."

Robert.