Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Sun Oct 16 08:26:09 UTC 2011

The real problem here is the designers of the concept lost sight of the
actual benefit to the user, the problem as I would state is:

"Provide a means that allows consistent naming of network devices".

That should have translated into eth0 is "ALWAYS" the first device, eth1
is "ALWAYS" the second device etc.. the biosdevname should have then
been used to create that relationship and _nothing else_.

If the device does not have the BIOS entries, simply fall back to the
existing scheme.

The above would have provided the "consistency" and "compatibility" I
think everyone was actually looking for and no one would even need to be
aware of the feature.

IMO this feature needs to be re-worked to meet this simple design goal
that will then benefit everyone, especially RH et al. because in the
real world, in any enterprise environment, this feature will be turned
off immediately due to the confusion it causes and no-one benefits.

Albert