Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 12:27:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:48:29 +0100
agraham wrote:

> I agree in principle with this change, but not the "renaming" of
> existing "well know" device names such that the opposite effect is
> caused by the implementation.

This whole thread seems to have missed the point I complained
about wayyy back at the beginning, which is that the "consistent"
name changed due to an update to the biosdevname package.

We've had folks in this thread talking about the challenges of
managing server farms with gazillions of ethernet ports on each server.
Just how helpful are consistent names if they change when the server
gets an update? Wouldn't that be fun on a server farm?

How is this consistent? The persistent udev rules based on MAC
address are looking much more consistent to me.