Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 17 01:20:35 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, agraham <agraham at g-b.net> said:
> That should have translated into eth0 is "ALWAYS" the first device, eth1
> is "ALWAYS" the second device etc.. the biosdevname should have then
> been used to create that relationship and _nothing else_.

Define "first".  Hint: that's not a solvable problem on general PC
hardware (thus, biosdevname).  There have been many problems over the
years where the ordering changed on some hardware from one kernel
release to the next.

Linux is the only OS I've used that named all wired ethernet (and some
wireless, depending on driver, which is even more confusing) interfaces
the same thing.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>