Fedora 15 + scsi tape drive

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 17 04:15:25 UTC 2011

On 16Oct2011 18:09, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
| On 10/16/2011 05:47 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > I've got a machine at home whose / drive gets renamed depending  on
| > whether the PCI SCSI RAID stuff is broken or not. Hmm, shall root be on
| > sdb or sdc today? Maddening when trying to rescue.
|
| Make sure that every partition has a label and use them in fstab.  (If
| the partition's already mounted by UUID, add a comment to the file
| giving the label.)  Then, when rescuing, you can unmount your drives and
| remount them by using mount -a to get them where you want them.

Which is no good for the root= kernel command line option.
And the root=LABEL= syntax is apparently a nonstandard kernel patch.

I mount stuff in /etc/fstab with labels - more readable; I tak your
point about using a UUID and a label in the comment.

When I say "rescue", here I'm not meaning "boot off a CDROM and fsck etc
my OS". I mean "my system doesn't boot because it can't find the root
partition". It is "hunt the /dev/sdX" device, with many minutes of delay
between retries. More annoying that my words can describe.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The road less traveled is FASTER !!
        - Luc Marcouiller, marcouil at ireq.hydro.qc.ca