HELP!!! System messed up!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 17 08:22:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 00:26 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> If I have an xorg.conf file it REALLY hoses the system and I don't get
> ANY graphics whatsoever and I have to rely on SSH-ing into the box to
> init 3, delete the xorg.conf and restart x, at which time it's
> somewhat normal.

Usually, you can CTRL+ALT+F2 (or one of the other F keys), over to a
text console, on the same computer, to use the command line.  If that
works, then it saves you a bit of hassle to work through this problem.
Though, it can happen that the graphics system gets so screwed up you
will have to SSH in.

You should probably post the xorg.conf file for some other people to
look for anything wrong with it.

The other suggestion of removing and reinstalling X is usually bad
advice.  If there's a problem with the package, you'll be back at square
one.  The re-install will fail, just the same.

Likewise, if the package is fine, but a configuration file isn't.  Most
configuration files that are not provided directly in the package, such
as ones created later on, or ones that were modified, will not be
removed during a package removal.  A re-install will use the same
configuration file.

If you think the installation of a package is broken, you can check for
that using the rpm tools own verification options.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.