cursor : weird disappearances

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 16:18:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 06:18:13 +1030, Tim wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 16:14 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>         Every once in a while, completely unpredictably afaik, the
>> cursor suddenly disappears. I have it set to display its position when
>> I hit Ctrl; but it doesn't, until I wave the mouse around in huge
>> sweeps. Once I start doing that (and continuing to tap Ctrl every few
>> seconds) it eventually shows up somewhere at the outer edge of the
>> screen.
>
> I've seen this problem for many years, as you've described the problem,
> and I'm configured the same way.  Different mice, USB & PS/2, different
> computers, different releases of Fedora.

	So either it's something in Fedora (probably something old), or
in Linux even more generally. Anybody know what other distros it shows up
in, if any?

	I had another cursor incident yesterday evening, maybe related,
maybe not. I keep my cursor set to be as big as I can get it; when it is
on the desktop, it's mostly (not inside some apps) pretty conspicuous.
Yesterday, while the cursor was both conspicuous and moving, almost
everything in the display suddenly froze.

	It didn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, nor even to Ctrl-Alt-
Delete. This machine doesn't have a reset button separate from the power
button; so I tried giving that one a quick punch. No joy there, either.

	I have System Monitor 2.32.0 set to display two blocks on my
bottom panel, one for the processor and one for the network. Both
continued to show movement, and neither was anywhere near maxxed out. But
that big cursor just sat there and scoffed at me.

	I finally held the power button till the whole machine shut down,
and left it overnight.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User