doc question on private network IP allocation

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Oct 17 20:16:59 UTC 2011

On 10/17/2011 01:32 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> if you have 5 easy to break security barriers in front you make it
> real hard for most people without enough knowledge of all these
> barrieres to break them all - nobody said these are the only
> preventions - these are ADDITIONAL ONES

Exactly.  Back when I did tech support for an ISP, I used to tell
callers that having a dynamic IP address made their computer more
secure, especially on dial-up.  Why?  Well, even if somebody managed to
get into their computer they'd never be able to find it again once the
owner had logged off the net because next time they'd have a different
IP.  Yes, I knew about rootkits back then, but it was a case of KISS.
Hell, I can also remember assuring callers that email viruses were
impossible right up until the day the first one hit.