HELP!!! System messed up!

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:33:21 UTC 2011

Hi John,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon October 17 2011, suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>> If you want to salvage your data, I would recommend ddrescue. It
>> worked wonderfully for me.
>>
> Thanks. It's not that bad. Yet. I just know that SMARTD is apparently
> telling me that the drive is failing. I don't have a replacement yet, but
> hopefully I'll have one in the next day or so. Then I have to figure out how
> to get the data to the new drive and make it the boot drive (my boot drive
> is a small PATA drive and it's the one that is failing!)

I don't mean to insist, but I had a similar problem and I was able to
replicate the old drive along with the partition table and LVM onto
the replacement drive using ddrescue. The procedure is documented in
this post.

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/377186/focus=377478>

Just thought this might be an appropriate (and simple) way to tackle
your situation.

GL

--
Suvayu