Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Oct 18 04:35:37 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 11:39 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> On Monday, October 17, 2011 16:57:42 jdow wrote:
>> There is something wrong with ethp2p3? What KIND of device is easier
>> to fathom if it is part of the name, ya know.
> Tell Sun, er, Oracle that.  What are hme0, qfe0, and eri0?  :-)

It has been a few years since I worked on Sun....

hme0  is an ethernet interface on a card with a single interface.  The
second card would be hme1, of course.

qfe0    is port 0 of a 4 interface ethernet module

I don't know what eri0 is....but more than likely a person using Sun
hardware on a regular basis will know.  And, to my knowledge, their
numbering system hasn't changed.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow