Is it save to mount / with noatime?

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Wed Oct 19 15:40:05 UTC 2011

On 19.10.2011, JB wrote:

> Unfortunately there are apps that may act incorrectly, either with noatime or
> relatime. Possible examples: procmail, mutt, mailx, perhaps few more known and unknown
> yet (incl. sysadmin commands).

I'm using "noatime" exclusively, and have been using it a long long
time. I did only see one program misbehaving in all these years,
that's mutt.  It uses atime to determine when a mailfolder was last
accessed. With noatime, the timestamp will simply not be updated.
There are a lot of workarounds out there, so that isn't really a big
deal.

Here's what Linus says on noatime:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148