Alternative to Apple's TimeCapsule for Linux?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 03:40:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 21:59 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> I need an external HDD. With Wi-Fi support that fits well with Linux.
> Don't need software (There's Deja-Dup).

(You mean a NAS, not a HDD.) Basically any of the commercial offerings
will work as long as they support NFS or rsync, which most of them do. I
use an Iomega ix2. The Iomega software is unusable, but the hardware is
basically sound and runs Linux, so I just backup with rsnapshot.
Unfortunately Iomega has seen fit to prevent you from logging into the
machine, so I can't really recommend it, but there are competing
products without this restriction.

I would strongly recommend using RAID however. One of the disks on my
unit failed and RAID saved the day. I just replaced the disk with an
off-the-shelf Western Digital unit (the built-in ones are Seagate) and
it rebuilt itself with no loss of data.

Make sure that the unit can run at least at 100Mbps, and if possible can
use jumbo frames, but that will depend on your router. Since you mention
wireless, go for 802.11N, but really you're better with a cable if it's
practical.

poc