Samsung ML1640

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 21 10:21:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 14:44 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I don´t see a movement by consumers to clearly ask printer
> manufacturers to identify the standards used on the box. Is there
> one?

The trouble is that most computer users are used to the idea of
installing drivers with hardware (and, unfortunately, used to general
crappiness in products), the concept of a driver-less install is almost
unheard of.

And come the time that their OS has surpassed the driver, their
(generally crappy) printer is nearly worn out, or consumables are hard
to get, or ridiculously expensive, so they'll buy a new one, and repeat
the cycle.

Printers are a prime example of this.  They're non-robust plasticky
things.  Ink or toner is expensive.  Print heads or drums wear out, and
they're expensive.  Often, it's cheaper to throw out a printer and buy a
new one when the ink runs out, never mind the other parts of the
printer.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686