Key bindings for screen

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 23:36:30 UTC 2011

Hi Andras,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/21, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com>:
>> I have tried that, without the ^a it simply ignores the cursor keys. :(
>> That said a line like this (with printable characters) work as expected:
>>
>> bind ' ' windowlist -b
>>
>> The above shows me the windowlist on pressing C-a <space> in screen.
>> Similarly this attempt to interchange C-a n and C-a p also works.
>>
>> bind n prev
>> bind p next
>
> OK, so it works (and you don't need the escape key, as expected, based
> on the man page).
>

>> Am I getting the cursor key codes wrong?
>
> Yes, probably.
>
>> I am getting the ASCII values
>> by quoting the cursor keys with C-v in bash. Is there a way to get the
>> octal numbers somehow?
>
> Now that you know where the problem lies, a little googling combined
> with some experimentation should get you there (or leave you
> frustrated :-)). I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

I already did a fare share of google searches before posting. However I
just found out that cursor keys are represented by a _pair_ of key
codes, the first is a dummy of some sort (and is probably just 0!).
Probably that is why binding them seems to be such a challenge.

Anyway, you have given me enough direction. A *huge* thank you for that.
I will try to find out more from other resources. If I find a solution,
I will post back.

Best,

--
Suvayu