Unable to ssh nodes with global IP

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:58:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:42, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 23.10.2011 12:20, schrieb suvayu ali:
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>
>> mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
>> if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
>> is shortly down - driving all the time around?
>>
> I didn't say that machine, I said a machine, as in any other machine
> not on the same local network. I am assuming if the OP wants to work
> with grid computing he has access to some other
> server/desktop/whatever which is connected to the internet. And he
> doesn't have to drive there, he can always use ssh. The OP never said
> ssh to some machine outside is not working, so its a fair assumption
> that he can.
>
> well, you can use 20 different machines to achieve a result
> or simply change a port so it is not blocked by the isp
>
> what do you think is smarter?

I am no expert, I just said what worked for me in the past. I ssh into
many systems everyday so changing to non-standard ports is
inconvenient. Rather than speculate what other ways might work I chose
to suggest what has worked for me in the past.

In any case I don't think many ISPs forward all ports to the user.
Depending on their policy, they will forward certain ports. If its a
non-standard port, and the ISP forwards selective ports it is more
likely that those will be blocked.

In any case I think Ed's suggestion is something the OP should try too.

--
Suvayu