Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Oct 24 02:48:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:12:05PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Is there a way to get at the odd SysV volume manager slices if I have access to
> an OS drive? The disk or partition is split into slices, sort of like a crude
> LVM. I need to recover the files from the disk, based on a full raw backup of
> the drive or the drive itself.
>
> I was hoping for a fuser implementation or so, since the extra cost networking
> stuff wasn't bought when the system was built. A local business depends on this,
> and I'm trying to help them recover.

Bill:

I'm having a somewhat vague recollection that much much older versions
of Linux (from circa '95 when I was using Slackware 2.1 with the very up
to date 1.5.9 kernel) had some flavor of support for SCO partitions. I
have some memory of having read some docs or notes online somewhere
about it. I don't think I've ever tried mounting a HD partition from
one of them on linux, though.

If it would be any help, I probably still have the CD with that ancient
Slackware, and also a (now) really ancient Red Hat 4.1 CD.  ISO images
could be created in need.

Fred

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.