OT? want to connect my router to a wireless network

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Oct 28 00:41:23 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 08:01 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have a Linksys wrt54G V8 wireless 4-port router. I need to connect
> to a wireless access point through this router's radio and then share
> the connection to the wired units in my office. It would also be nice
> if I could set up the router to be a repeater for the incoming wifi
> connection.
>
> F14 in use on the workstation, various others sometimes in use. I know
> this is not necessarily the best list but where would be better?

  (1) With dd-wrt firmware you can use the wrt54g to connect to the wifi
access point and bridge the network to the wired ports - [1]

   (2) not sure you can then use same radio to be a 'repeater' - but for
a few bucks you could use the wired connection to be the internet for
another wifi router and together the pair of them would be a
pseudo-repeater of the original wifi - it probably would need to be a
different SSID than the original otherwise it might confuse the dd-wrt
which might want to connect to the closer one - so not  true repeater -
however you'd have wifi at least even tho SSID is different. i.e. you
could not roam from original AP to your "repeater" without changing
wireless networks ...

  maybe someone else has a better suggestion ..

 gene

[1] I have used dd-wrt to do exactly this even when the original wifi
required 802.1x authentication.