SL6 to F16??

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Oct 30 17:03:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:49:54 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

> 	I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine,
> and now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but installed,
> with the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the
> gnome version and then add xfce. Do I just command "yum install
> xfce," or is there something more esoteric?

yum groupinstall xfce-desktop

You don't need to install gnome. Just deselect it when you do the
install.

> 	In the course of playing with SL, I've put spare copies of
> various data into it, and of course tweaked all sorts of things, many
> of them a tad bit tedious; I'd like to preserve them into the F16
> install.

You can save off your homedir and keep all those settings easily.
Other things you will likely have to re-tweak.

> 	Is there a way Fedora can treat SL6 as if I were upgrading
> earlier Fedora install? I see this :

Nope. Not that I know of. They are different OSes.

> 	There's plenty of space for dual-booting. I suppose I could
> install into free space, boot to it, mount the SL partition, and copy
> stuff. But that sounds like needless hassle to me, even if I got all
> of it right.
>
> 	Is there another way??

Nope.

kevin