TV Tuner cards?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:44:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested in a TV tuner card that I can connect to my roof
> antenna with a RG6 coax, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
> I've used the Happauge cards in the past, but that was quite some time
> ago. I've found the linuxtv.org page, and although they have a list of
> available TV tuners, they don't really give any impression on which
> have the best features, etc.
>
> I'd probably also like to set up MythTV at some point.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

There's plenty of history in the list archives as this is a pretty
frequent question.

I'm really happy with my HDHomerun 3. I'm not sure if you're familiar
with them, but they are a stand alone tuner that basically puts the
MPEG2 stream from ATSC (Over the air) or unencrypted cable (QAM) on
your network. It's nice because you don't have to worry about kernel
drivers and it also means you don't have to run your coax cable to
your computer in a combined frontend/backend MythTV setup. My HDHR is
in the closet with the rest of the networking equipment and my MythTV
FE/BE is in the entertainment center.

Richard