how do I play this file?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:24:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 18:06 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> I started a new subject by replying to myself
>
> Um, no you didn't...  You added a new reply to your old thread, with a
> different subject line.  Your (wanted it to be a) new message is buried

I wrote "new subject" and not "new thread" because I meant "new subject".

> in the middle of an old thread, where it may get ignored by someone who
> has the answer for your problem, but is ignoring this thread...
>
> When creating a "new" message, or a "new" topic, actually create a new
> message, don't reply to another one.  Changing what's typed into the
> subject line isn't good enough.  Other headers, which aren't displayed
> in your message editor, tie messages together (see the in-reply-to and
> references headers).

I didn't create a new thread because I didn't want to create a new thread.
It's possible that making a new thread would have been better.
Adding to the old one was deliberate.

Effectively sending it twice was a mistake.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.