hdmi audio kernel bug?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 20:05:11 UTC 2011

I've just found and followed the magical instructions
here: http://analogbit.com/fix_nvidia_edid to eradicate
the nvidia driver HDMI audio support by convincing it
the TV I'm using doesn't support HDMI audio.

It works great, but I'm wondering why having the HDMI
audio device exist prevented the onboard Nvidia CK804
audio from working at all?

Both audio devices showed up in the gnome control center
sound app. I could select the CK804 as the default, but
it would never play sound.

Is this an alsa bug of some kind? Or ham fisted clobbering
of alsa by the kmod-nvidia binary driver? Anyplace I
should report it?

(It is ironic that another system I wanted to use HDMI
audio on had an unsupported ATI card, and the system I don't
want to use HDMI audio on has an nvidia card clobbering
the other audio :-).