reaching a server behind a NAT

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Sep 5 15:28:12 UTC 2011

Christopher Svanefalk writes:

> Hey all,
>
> sorry if this is not purely Fedora related, but I was hoping I might get
> some feedback anyhow from someone who knows more than I do.
>
> I have this:
>
> A NAT-configured router between my house and the internet.
> A NAS behind the router.
> A dyndns account, set up and pointing to the global address of the router.
>
> I want to be able to reach the NAS from the internet. However, trying to
> do so (including attempts to bind to specific ports on the NAS) simply
> do not work, and I cannot tell why.
>
> I have set up the router to port-forward the correct portcalls to the
> NAS, but that does not solve anything.
>
> So I am stuck, any tips?

system-config-firewall provides a fairly simple way to set up port
forwarding. But, it's a take-it or leave-it proposition. system-config-
firewall will either take over all of your iptables configuration, or you
have to roll your own on everything; however system-config-firewall does
allow you to specify an external file with fixed iptables rules that gets
incorporated into system-config-firewall-generated ones. So, you might be
able to migrate to system-config-firewall, even if you have some custom
rules installed.

Then, it's a matter of figuring out which ports need to be forwarded. Your
problem may not necessarily be a firewall rule config issue, but knowing
which ports you need to forward.