reaching a server behind a NAT

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:55:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:20:28 +0200
Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> I want to be able to reach the NAS from the internet. However, trying to
> do so (including attempts to bind to specific ports on the NAS) simply
> do not work, and I cannot tell why.

Sometimes it depends on where you are coming from as well. I know
at work the IT department got all paranoid and blocked just about
every outgoing port except http and https, so to ssh in to my
home box, I taught my router's firewall to forward incoming https
requests to ssh on my home system, and now as long as I tell
ssh to use the right port number, I have no problem getting
into my home system from work. Silly, but functional :-).