Vote to extend F14 security updates

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Mon Sep 5 18:37:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 19:47 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> > On 09/05/2011 10:24 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> >> The
> >> hardware requirements for F15 make a lot of equipment unusable;
> >
> > Is it the hardware requirements for F15 or for Gnome 3 that are causing
> > the problem?  In the latter case, the answer is easy if you take it
> > logically.
>
> I think he is referring to the anaconda issue (more RAM required for
> installation than actually running Fedora). The problem with that bug
> was, even after anaconda was updated the release DVD (more likely what
> any new user will download) still had the older version.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Suvayu

Suvayu,

Yes, you are correct, I was not even able to install F15 on my first
attempt.  The memory limits were published incorrectly at that time.
Latter the additional memory requirement was published, I put in some
additional memory in the test machine I used, and got an install.
However, I could not make gnome3 work until several updates.  I finally
released the machine for users,  but everyone avoids using it.  The
complaints I get are related to having an 'intermittant white screen'
that causes the desktop to be unresponsive requiring a reboot.   I have
not had the time, but my next step to salvage this piece of equipment is
to use kde or one of the other gui's.

gnome3 is another subject.  I decided to install F15 on a laptop for my
own use, and I actually like some of what gnome3 has done.   The laptop
is not as old as my test machine so things are functioning much better.
I am still getting adjusted to it;  my perception so far is that it
looks elegant and pretty, but gnome3 is difficult to use in a way that
achieves results quickly, and does not allow you to organize the desktop
into an efficient structure.

Greg