iMac on my Lan can't see my printer connected via usb to my linux box

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 19:16:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sam Varshavchik replied
>
>> Yes, open http://localhost:631/admin/ and make sure that "Share printers connected to this system" and > "Allow printing from the Internet" are enabled.
>
> Did this, i.e., checked those boxes.
> my iMac still can't see the printer
>
> other steps needed?
>
> Jack
> --

Jackson:

I'm not a IOS admin, but I poked around in the CUPS server on my F14
box. Your version may differ slightly. From the home page, follow the
"Using Network Printers" link
(http://localhost:631/help/network.html), follow the link on the right
panel labeled "Printer Sharing"
(http://localhost:631/help/sharing.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=)
and "Automatic Configuration using CUP Browsing"
(http://localhost:631/help/sharing.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=#AUTO_CUPS)
and there I found a note that says:

"Note:

    Due to user interface changes in Mac OS X 10.5, CUPS shared
printers will not automatically appear in the print dialog. Instead,
you must first run the following command to enable CUPS browsing on
your system:

    cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups

    Then choose each of the CUPS shared printers you want to see in
the print dialog by adding them, either from the Add Printer... item
in the print dialog or from the Print & Fax preference pane in the
System Preferences window."

I don't know if that's true for your version of IOS, but perhaps it will help.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC