script to create dvd sized folders for backup

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:12:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> Is there a way via script to create backup folders for a certain directory.  I have a home folder with Documents/, Downloads/, Pictures/, Videos/, etc as created by default on Fedora.  I want to say go to Downloads/ and make several folders (dvd1, dvd2, dvd3, ..., ) as many as are needed to backup the whole directory into 4.3 GB dvd sized ones.  If I can make iso images of these it would be an added plus.  I want to backup some photos, Documents, and miscelaneous files that I have into DVDs.  I had a hard drive to do this(backup) but it is giving read errors :(  This way I can save many files and then remove everything to try and test out Fedora 16 (alpha/beta) or install from livecd.

I've got exactly what your looking for but it still a little rough
around the edges. As long as you're comfortable fiddling with command
line programs you should be fine.

It's call discspan[1]. As the co-maintainer I was thinking about
packaging it officially for Fedora. For now you can find it on
sourceforge.

It's only problem is that I'm not an ISO9660 expert and I've tweaked
the logic as far as I know how for proper capacity sizing but a lot of
small files (i.e. more file-system overhead) sometimes trick it. If
that happens, use the --size-factor option. Try something like .98
(98% of stated capacity) and it should work.

Richard

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/discspan/files/discspan/discspan-0.2.2/