LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:35:32 UTC 2011

I believe this might have come up earlier, but I would like to once again
encourage all those users who are reluctant about making the leap from Gnome
2 to Gnome 3 (now that the end of the maintenance cycle for F14 is rapidly
approaching) to take a good look at LXDE. I installed it for the first time
ever today, installed Compiz, fiddled around, and eventually got more or
less back to the workflow I had under Gnome 2.

LXDE can easily be set up to have essentially the same look-and-feel as
Gnome 2. Also, it's lightweight design seems to have led to a good
performance increase at least on my machine. One big problem is that there
(to my knowledge) seems to be no easy way to set up keybindings in LXDE
itself. If you install Compiz (and I believe you should), you can of course
try to use the support for keybinding there instead. I also had to run
dhclient from the terminal at first boot in order to get a network
connection, but I believe this could be mitigated by just installing
NetworkManager afterwards.

Give it a go!

Best regards,

Christopher