RaLink 5370 USB Wifi Dongle

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Sep 16 03:36:17 UTC 2011

The WiFi in my laptop gave up the ghost.  Doesn't matter what card I put
in the mini PCIe slot, the system doesn't think anything is there.

So, I bought one of those "new" $7 Wifi dongles for the USB port.
Surprisingly small!  802.11n capable as well!

The problem?  It appears in the lsusb list:

> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

But, nothing appears as a Wifi Device.

One Wifi email list suggested that it would be supported by the rt2x00
driver, but modprobing that driver does not recognize the device.

The RaLink site has 2 drivers that *should* support it:  rt2870usb and
rt2870sta.

I found that RPMFusion packages version 2.4.0 of the rt2870 driver, but
there is no entry for the 148f:5370, so no network device gets created.
 Not even when I add an entry for it to:
	/lib/modules/2.6.25.14-96.fc14.x86_64/modules.usbmap

The final step I tried was to download the 2.5.0.2 driver from RaLink,
and build it locally.  It builds, but it doesn't build an installable
kernel module:

> # insmod rt5370sta.ko
> insmod: error inserting 'rt5370sta.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

Anyone have one of these running in their system yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing an ra0 device that I can use as my wifi
connection!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net