Help... screwed up video config

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 00:55:16 UTC 2011

I somehow managed to screw up my video config by changing the default
monitor and now X won't start. I told it I had a Dell E1701 flat
panel. Turns out I actually have a Dell E1703FP. Well, I checked and
the scan ranges are identical, so it shouldn't matter.
I've tried deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and re-running
system-config-display, but it always craps out.
This is on an integrated nVidia chipset graphics card. I'm afraid I
don't know the exact, but I'm not using special binary drivers or
anything, just standard Vesa drivers.