Need KVM switch

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 00:44:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 16:38 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> I've got two computers -- a Windows XP machine and a Fedora 15 box. I am
> sending back the new KVM I bought since it doesn't work at all for my Linux
> box (just sits there and doesn't detect that it's plugged in.) It also
> doesn't pass along the unifying receiver for my new wireless keyboard and
> mouse from Logitech.
>
> I need a USB KVM for my Windows machine as I'm currently using a PS2 with
> an adapter. I think the only reason that is working is because my old
> Belkin is a powered KVM and doesn't rely on power from the systems.
>
> Anyone got a KVM they can recommend? Bonus if it'll share the speakers with
> multiple computers. :D

I have an XP box and a Fedora (14) box plugged in to an older Belkin PS2
style KVM switch. My main machine is the Fedora & I just use the XP box
for Access db needed for work and Garmin software for my GPS. The KVM
switch works ok but I have found that the Remote Desktop Viewer in
Fedora (Gnome) works much better for me; just as fast, and I can copy
and paste some things between the machines and by not maximizing the
desktop, can see both at once. I haven't actually used the KVM in
months.

Fred