RaLink 5370 USB Wifi Dongle

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:38:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 06:54 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> Great that it works with the f15 kernel - if it is any help I had
>> until recently been running an f15 kernel in another f14 laptop for
>> quite a while with no problems (install all the f15 kernel related
>> packages pulled as rpms from bodhi or koji eg kernel-PAE,
>> kernel-PAE-devel, kernel-headers, perf ( and any other related rpms),
>> in one yum [local]install possibly with --nogpgcheck if you have not
>> got the f15 gpg keys in that machine) - then it should work. In fact
>> for me it worked even better than the f14 kernel!
>
> Yeah, F15 has the newer scheduler, which I hear is *real* *nice*!
>
> I tried the following command line:
>
> yum install --releasever=15 --nogpgcheck kernel kmod-nvidia
>
> It installed the following RPMs for me:
>
> kernel-2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64
> linux-firmware-20110601-1.fc15.noarch
> kmod-nvidia-280.13-2.fc15.2.x86_64
> module-init-tools-3.16-2.fc15.x86_64
> kmod-nvidia-2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.2.x86_64
> glibc-devel-2.14-5.x86_64
> glibc-common-2.14-5.x86_64
> glibc-2.14-5.i686
> glibc-2.14-5.x86_64
> glibc-headers-2.14-5.x86_64
>
> But, when I try and boot, I get an error trying to load some firmware
> file in /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5-fc15.x86_64/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/
>
> The error message claims that CPU Type 15 is not supported....
> And it continues, ad infinitum, until I power the machine off and reboot
> an F14 kernel.
>
> Did I miss something else I need to install?

I usually install perf, kernel-headers, kernel-devel, which are not in
your list - I will have to dig out my old notes and if I find anything
else I will let you know.

I don't know if the glibc stuff which is presumably fairly recent
caused any clashes with older libraries in your f14 system but it is
possible.
--
mike c