Bug in system-config-firewall ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:15:45 UTC 2011

Hi people.

I'm setting up ssh on a server box.

I'm using system-config-firewall to open up port 22 for it.

Here is the thing...  it *appears* that system-config-firewall has port 22
opened up by default, for some reason.  Ie the port is checked on the port
list in system-config-firewall.

However, if I run nmap from the remote machine (nmap -sS -F 192.168...) it
shows all the ports to be closed.

If I unselect port 22 and press Apply and then select it and press Apply
again, nmap finds it open and all is well.

However, if I then reboot, the port is again closed !   One seems to need to
repeat the unselect-Apply/ select-Apply procedure to get it working again.

Is it just me or do others have the same problem ?

There is also an issue with saving service setting in system-config-firewall
on my machine, but I'll get to that later.

What other program are people using to manage their firewall settings.  I'm
not a fan of manually entering iptable entries.

 $ uname -a
Linux zoneminder.localdomain 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Tue Aug 30 14:54:41
UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ yum list system-config-firewall
system-config-firewall.noarch
1.2.29-4.fc15