selinux is a pain

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Sep 21 12:39:10 UTC 2011

Christoph Wickert wrote:

>> > My question is, how many people are using selinux?
>>
>> 60,8% [1]
>
> Sorry, the actual percentage of people who 'use' it is 79.8% and 68.6%
> have it in enforcing mode.

I wonder if these very high percentages are not due to the fact
that the information is collected soon after CentOS is installed,
when SELinux is enabled by default?

Personally, I usually run SELinux in permissive mode,
due essentially to laziness, or to put a kinder word on it,
because it does not come at the top of my ToDo list of priorities.

So I run it in enforcing mode until a problem comes along.
If I can't solve it in say 5 minutes I move to permissive mode,
with the vague intention of sorting it out sooner or later.

I'm not sure how typical I am of CentOS users;
but if I am at all typical then the SELinux team
should see if they cannot give a bit more "instant advice"
with things to try when problems occur.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net