"fans seems to work fine" & "It's not enough that they spin"...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 25 16:47:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 13:12 -0700, Linda McLeod wrote:
> If the tower is set near a hot air vent, the fans will pull-in heat,
> and heat what they're supposed to be cooling...

Or, even just in a location with poor circulation...  Warm air already
in the room, and the computer's exhaust sucked back into its inlet.

I've thought, a time or two, about putting some plastic piping from one
of the computer's vents over towards the window.  So they can suck in
some cooler air, in my overly warm workshop.  I've not really wanted to
get into the expense of trying a liquid cooled system.  But the idea of
a silent system, one using heatpipes and massive heatsinks appeals to
me, because I miss having a silent workroom.

I think the personal computer is a bit of a bad design (in may ways),
but just regarding the cooling aspect of it:  You have a device that
needs to keep cool, operated by people who don't know much about that.
It needs forced cooling, yet uses a technique that is prone to failure,
and requires maintenance by unskilled owners.  And is frequently placed
in the worst locations (shoved into a desk, on the floor, against the
wall, maybe almost totally enclosed in part of the desk).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.