Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 28 15:05:35 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 02:43 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:30:34PM +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> I don't use Gnome myself, mainly KDE.
>> But its seems like a lot of people would like Gnome2 back. Why doesn't someone,
>> who has a problem with it just rebuild and release Gnome2 for F15 (with a
>> different package name) ?

IMO, that's a misperception: Most people who complain about Gnome3 don't
like its look'n'feel and/or are missing certain functionalities, but
like the Gnome2 look'n'feel and/or certain functionalities.
That's entirely different from forking Gnome2.

It's xfce's similarity to Gnome2, which makes xfce applicable as a
resort to them.

> That's the open source way. Don't like Gnome 3? Then fork and maintain
> Gnome 2 and build a new project around it. If there are enough people
> who support such a move then a community will form around it.

Alternatively, the Gnome folks finally start listening to their users
and bring back the old look'n'feel and at least some its functionalties.

Ralf