How to rebuild the kernel for the network install

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 28 20:03:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:41:22 -0600,
  Pete Travis <me at petetravis.com> wrote:
> Bash will expand $(inane -r) for you - you can pass it any kernel you have
> headers installed for.
>
> I wanted to jump in to suggest you reconsider motherboard driven fakeraid.
> The mainboard becomes a single point of failure, and replacing it or
> migrating the array can be problematic, especially with different chipset
> revisions or BIOS versions.
>
> I recommend you set up a mdadm array.  Drivers are in the kernel,
> documentation is profuse, and management is fairly simple once you get the
> hang of it. The graphical installer can even do it for you.  Use the array
> for /home and possibly /etc and /var, and keep your root filesystem separate
> from your important data.

There is a downside to using mdadm over fake raid and that is that you
can hit a bottleneck with the PCI bus as the data needs to be sent to
each disk drive that needs a copy of the data (or parity info) instead of
just once to the controller. Typically this will be twice as much data.

That said, I use mdadm. I have done such things as drop one side of my
raid 1 mirrors, repartition that drive, set up new mirrors with encrypted
file systems, and copy over file system data, repartion the other disk,
add those partitions to the new mirrors.