How to rebuild the kernel for the network install

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 29 01:14:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 15:03 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:41:22 -0600,
>   Pete Travis <me at petetravis.com> wrote:
> > Bash will expand $(inane -r) for you - you can pass it any kernel you have
> > headers installed for.
> >
> > I wanted to jump in to suggest you reconsider motherboard driven fakeraid.
> > The mainboard becomes a single point of failure, and replacing it or
> > migrating the array can be problematic, especially with different chipset
> > revisions or BIOS versions.
> >
> > I recommend you set up a mdadm array.  Drivers are in the kernel,
> > documentation is profuse, and management is fairly simple once you get the
> > hang of it. The graphical installer can even do it for you.  Use the array
> > for /home and possibly /etc and /var, and keep your root filesystem separate
> > from your important data.
>
> There is a downside to using mdadm over fake raid and that is that you
> can hit a bottleneck with the PCI bus as the data needs to be sent to
> each disk drive that needs a copy of the data (or parity info) instead of
> just once to the controller. Typically this will be twice as much data.
>
> That said, I use mdadm. I have done such things as drop one side of my
> raid 1 mirrors, repartition that drive, set up new mirrors with encrypted
> file systems, and copy over file system data, repartion the other disk,
> add those partitions to the new mirrors.
----
doesn't fake raid do the same thing? If there isn't an intelligent
controller, the same type of data still has to travel through the exact
same bus. Neither have write-back cache that would actually improve
peformance.

Additionally, fakeraid requires proprietary kernel modules, dies with
the motherboard and typically is slower performance than mdadm.

Craig

believed to be clean.