in case you did not know about kerTeX distribution

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 04:21:13 UTC 2012

> > It is also possible to download it. I did that last
> week (TexLive 2011
> > from upstream via mirror). It was straightforward, the
> only special
> > thing needed is to set the paths, and the install tool
> at the very end
> > helpfully reminds one to do it.

When installing from the DVD, the setup program asks one if one wants to add the symlinks automagically(i.e set the tex/latex paths).  If this went too fast, you may have to add them manually, but it can be done.

> Could show me how to set the paths correctly on a default
> LXDE F-15
> install? Thanks.
>
> --

In ~/ your home directory create a file ~/.bash_profile if it does not exist, or edit it if it does and add path like:

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/local/bin/texlive2011/:$PATH
export PATH

And it should work.  This will depend on where the tex executable are at.

You may also add them to ~/.bashrc, but in .bash_profile it should work.  Now if you want to add them globally for all users in case the system has more users, a better approach is to add the paths to a file in /etc/profile.d/ with the paths to where the executables are at for texlive.

Hope this helps.  Happy \TeX{}ing and \LaTeX{}ing!

Regards,

Antonio