How to change network address ?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 1 20:09:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 09:10 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 21:17 +0800, Alick Zhao wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:56:01 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > >
> > > To make ifconfig obsolete is really weird. It sounds to me that
> > > developers of Fedora have to much time on their hands. Next I expect
> > > they will change the name of vi. Oh, I forgot it is now vim. Where is Ed
> > > Joy when we need him? [He was the creator of vi, in the very beginning.]
> >
> > AFAIK ifconfig is deprecated in favor of iproute2, which seems not
> > specific to Fedora. See also the link below[1].
> >
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifconfig#Current_status
> >
> > --
> > alick
> > Fedora 16 (Verne) user
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Alick
Let me extend my rant a little bit further. There is no program under
F16 called iproute2.
Ifconfig is rather straight forward program that can be used to handle
the limited things that it does. It is straightforward to use with a
limited number of options, therefore easy to understand. The man page
for ifconfig suggests that instead you use ip with some of its options.
ip , unlike ifcongog is a very complex program. Its total numenr of
options and variations is mind bogelling. Therefore to get Familist with
its use is similarly complex. If you have a simple command that does
what needs to be done, replacing it with an extremely complex command
should be avoided.

Androphobia: Fear of men.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net