[OT] Fedora 18 code name

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Mon Apr 2 16:36:37 UTC 2012

Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> Kernel Guardian wrote:
>>> After all of changes in Gnome, systemd, user id and of course Fedora
>>> leadership, maybe appropriate name could be "Mea GNUlpa" or "Mea
>>> Maxima GNUlpa"
>>>
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_culpa)
>> I think when in future distros will be 1) some Gmome2 fork,
>> 2) instead of systemd upstart/sysvinit again (or as option
>> in conjunction with), and 3) all will not be drived by
>> NetworkManager, then Fedora will be usable promptly after
>> release again. UID/GID increase is IMO OK, and grub2
>> implementation will be sufficiently good soon.
>>
>> Franta
>
> What is wrong with systemd? This project needs some more attention from
> developers but why do you think that upstart is better? sysvinit is
> becoming obsolete, now in 2012! Maybe Fedora developers should make some
> tweaks in systemd but I really like this project.

Systemd should be default init as early as in Fedora 14 - and soon will
be released Fedora 17 and here are still lot of problems and Bugzilla is
full of them. Yes, I hope too that evolve to something useful and mainly
stable - because I need work on Linux PC, not endlessly debug it.
And regards sysvinit - why should be obsolete? Its history is long - but
because did his work perfectly and was absolutely stable - and this is
important now as well. Personally, systemd may have some benefit on
desktops, but at servers, small and embedded devices is perhaps
overkill. At my i686 system i see systemd use 12MB/8.2MB
virtual/resident memory - only several services (clamd, apache, bind,
slapd) has bigger memory consumption. And sysvinit on Fedora 5 i686 use
only 2MB/0.6MB virtual/resident memory - and system is for years rock
stable and does all what is needed. And is completely insensitive for
me, if this system will boot by several seconds faster or not -
system/vga/RAID bioses on it initializes much longer than Linux start.
And another things, important from administrative aspect: syntax for
old sysvinit scripts is far simpler, flexible and ergomomical in
comparison with systemctl syntax.

But back to $SUBJ - i personally hope that "Mea_culpes" in Fedora we
have with F15/16 just away and in future there will be fewer such
unbaked and buggy projects. (Yeah, I remember yet as I tried sssd in
Fedora14 - after several months with locks, memory/descriptor/whatsever
leaks I finally wiped it;).
Franta