Fedora 16 killed my eth0 ?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Apr 3 21:19:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:48:49 +0100
"'Chris Hall'" <chris.hall.list at highwayman.com> wrote:

> Once upon a time I was happy with Fedora 14.

Last Gnome 2 Fedora release, and Gnome 2 is no longer receiving any
love from developers.

> Cannot stand the new Gnome.  So I'm trying KDE.

While KDE is fine, there are several other window managers that are
more or less Gnome like.  Thay have been discussed extensively on this
list by people with opinions like yours. :-)  A search of the list
archives should find those discussions.  In addition to KDE, I have
tried Gnome fallback, fvwm, openbox, xfce, lxde, and fluxbox with
various degrees of satisfaction.

> More important.  Somebody has killed my eth0.  It's gone.  "Device
> eth0 does not seem to be present..."  I cannot find it anywhere.

This hasn't happened to me, my card is still named eth0 on F17 - beta.
However, I've read on this list that for consistency, network cards are
now named by some combination of hardware and interrupt.  e.g. emp1
Maybe someone else will clarify, or you can do a search.