netbook compatibility

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Wed Apr 4 03:27:50 UTC 2012

I've never used a netbook before but am looking at the
Eee PC 1215N-PU27

I want as much portability as possible, but I also want it to have full
Linux capabilities, so tablets are out for now. Specifcally, I want to
run Linux as the base OS and use vmware to run Windows as a virtual
machine when needed. When I checked out netbooks a couple of years ago I
didn't see anything I thought could handle that. This looks like it
might be able to do that.

It has:
Atom D525 dual-core 1.8 GHz (with hyperthreading can have 4 threads)
2 GB RAM, expandable to 4 GB (I'd do this upgrade)
Bluetooth
Wireless N
HDMI port
3 USB ports
12.1" screen HD resolution
500 GB Hard Disk

It gets shipped with 64 bit Windows 7, but I'd prefer to run Fedora 16
and then run Windows as a Virtual Machine when needed.

Anyone have any experience running Fedora 16 on this machine ?

Also, I suppose I can connect an external DVD player via USB to do an
install that way. I prefer to install from DVD's rather then the network
and I assume a netbook can boot from a USB device.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis