Wireless firmware missing

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:35:46 UTC 2012

On Apr 3, 2012 10:24 PM, "Roger" <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I have had problems where emails from my Fedora box go missing so am
resending from Ubuntu box.
> Please accept my apologies for double posting if this happens.
>
> I sent an email from the Fedora16 box earlier this afternoon about my
daughter's Dell 1545 Laptop - Fedora 16 fresh installation.

> I have been struggling with an error message from the Network Manager F16
which says Wireless --firmware missing.
> Google is of no help, there is some info for Fedora 13-14-15 but this is
cryptic, unhelpful and relates to a Broadcom modem.. We have a Thompson
Gateway TG782T.

I'm fairly certain that laptop does have a Broadcom 43xx wireless adapter,
but you can check with ’lspci’.

There are instructions for downloading and installing firmware for that
adapter here:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Fedora

> The Laptop wireless worked well in Ubuntu Oneric but not Fedora 16.
> I really need to solve this urgently but have run out of ideas
> Can someone please assist
> thanks in advance
> Roger

-T.C.