Fedora 16 killed my eth0 ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Apr 5 19:10:58 UTC 2012

Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 06:47 AM, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
>> Well, perhaps someone should also think about impact of name-changing.
>> Quite frankly, what's in a name, so why change it?
>
> It's because in the old scheme when a machine had several ports the
> mapping between the physical hardware and the dev nodes was not fixed:
> the kernel would just assign names as it found interfaces.  This
> caused a fair bit of inconvenience.

You may think this is fixed, but in truth it is *broken*! Instead of
having a single predictable interface name you could put in a script
which would work on all typical user machines which have a single NIC,
or a hardware NIC called eth0 and the first wireless NIC called wlan0.

On top of that, the names are not in any way "fixed," it appears that
adding another eSTAT controller renamed my NIC, possibly because it
moved to another slot.

>>  From my side, I have a "no longer supported" SW product that
>> licenses itself against the MAC address of ETH0. Yep, ETH0 and not
>> any other name.
>
> Put a symlink in?

To what? If a program does "ifconfig eth0" where do I put a symlink to
make that return p57p3 results?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>