netbook compatibility

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Apr 5 19:35:32 UTC 2012

Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I've never used a netbook before but am looking at the
> Eee PC 1215N-PU27
>
> I want as much portability as possible, but I also want it to have full
> Linux capabilities, so tablets are out for now. Specifcally, I want to
> run Linux as the base OS and use vmware to run Windows as a virtual
> machine when needed. When I checked out netbooks a couple of years ago I
> didn't see anything I thought could handle that. This looks like it
> might be able to do that.
>
> It has:
> Atom D525 dual-core 1.8 GHz (with hyperthreading can have 4 threads)
> 2 GB RAM, expandable to 4 GB (I'd do this upgrade)
> Bluetooth
> Wireless N
> HDMI port
> 3 USB ports
> 12.1" screen HD resolution
> 500 GB Hard Disk

I currently have three ATOM based devices. They all run Linux 64bit
fine, none have hardware virtualization. For what you are doing, I
suspect that vmware, virtualbox, or just qemu (the non-hardware
emulator) would work fine, since the user process runs directly on the
CPU, not by emulation. I booted XP once for a goof, it worked as well as
XP ever does, haven't tried Win7.

I've been very happy with these, although FC16, or rather GNOME3, does
have one real drawback, based on a sample size of four laptops, none
have working "edge of the touchpad is scroll wheel" functionality, which
really rots. Worked on FC14, works with Mint, doesn't with GNOME3. YMMV.

Love my netbook, don't know what the battery life is, but I have used it
for all day, forgot and suspended overnight rather than hibernate, and
it still ran for about two hours and had power left. First portable I
have ever owned I take without the charger. Don't need it.

Good luck with your little machine, I think you're going to love it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>