Wired vs (bad) Wireless communications speeds

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Fri Apr 6 10:28:50 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Philip Rhoades
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 11:26 AM
To: Fedora List
Subject: Wired vs (bad) Wireless communications speeds

People,

Between my laptop and my server there is a WiFi modem and an ADSL
router and I think the comms is too slow.  The device speed for each is:

   Server: Intel 82567LF Gigabit: 10/100/1000 Mb/s
   Belkin Wireless F5D7230-4v7: 10/100 Mb/s
   Belkin ModemRouter F1PI241ENau: 10/100 Mb/s
   Asus Zenbook UX31: ath9k: 54 Mb/s
                      RJ45 via USB: 10/100 Mb/s
On an unloaded network I can get about 6.5 Mb/s when I use the cable
connection to the laptop but nothing better than about 1.5 Mb/s for the
wireless connection - and even that is when the laptop and the wireless
router are only about 1.5m apart (the XFCE network icon shows connection
quality is then at about 90%).
Anyone know why the wireless performance is not better than this?