Wired vs (bad) Wireless communications speeds

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:05:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 19:26 +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> Between my laptop and my server there is a WiFi modem and an ADSL
> router and I think the comms is too slow.  The device speed for each is:
>
>    Server: Intel 82567LF Gigabit: 10/100/1000 Mb/s
>
>    Belkin Wireless F5D7230-4v7: 10/100 Mb/s
>
>    Belkin ModemRouter F1PI241ENau: 10/100 Mb/s
>
>    Asus Zenbook UX31: ath9k: 54 Mb/s
>                       RJ45 via USB: 10/100 Mb/s
>
> and Cat5 cables.
>
> On an unloaded network I can get about 6.5 Mb/s when I use the cable
> connection to the laptop but nothing better than about 1.5 Mb/s for the
> wireless connection - and even that is when the laptop and the wireless
> router are only about 1.5m apart (the XFCE network icon shows connection
> quality is then at about 90%).
>
> Anyone know why the wireless performance is not better than this?

Distance from laptop to the wireless AP? Other machines are using
wireless at the same time? Interference from a wireless phone base
station? Other Wifi networks in neighbouring apartments using a stronger
signal and/or overlapping channels? Metal shielding (an upright piano is
good for this :-) or thick walls, especially reinforced concrete?
Multipath interference? An intervening "wireless repeater"? etc. etc.

poc